Karnak's #229 AR-Elastomeric is a single component, SBS rubber reinforced asphalt which forms an elastomeric roof coating. Karnak #229 AR Elastomeric has excellent elongation properties, good cold weather pliability and excellent water and weather resistance.
Karnak #229 AR-Elastomeric is available in brush/ spray and trowel grades. Karnak #229 AR Elastomeric brush grade is recommended for use as a roof coating on asphalt, BUR, concrete, metal, granulated roofs and spray polyurethane foam roofing. Karnak #229 AR Elastomeric trowel grade can be utilized for flashing, edging, expansion joints, pitch pockets and other areas where nominal or slight movement is anticipated.
- Easy to apply.
- Tough, flexible, elastic, rubber-like film.
- Excellent adhesion to most surfaces including primed concrete, masonry, metal and sprayed urethane foam. Weathered asphalt may not need priming.
- Excellent water and water vapor resistance.
- Excellent weather resistance.
- One year shelf life.
- One component, needs no intermixing.
- Good resistance to salts and alkalies.
- Compatible with many highway and bridge specifications.
- ASTM D-4586 Type I
- ASTM D-4479 Type I
Surfaces to be coated must be clean and free from dirt, dust, grease and oil. All surfaces must be patched and repaired prior to the application of the coating.
Karnak #229 AR-Elastomeric brush grade should be lighty mechanically mixed, prior to application. Karnak #229 AR-Elastomeric brush grade should not be applied to vertical surfaces.
BRUSH APPLICATION: Apply Karnak #229 AR-Elastomeric brush grade to horizontal surfaces using a wide, fibered roof brush at the rate of 2 to 4 gallons per 100 sq. ft..
TROWEL APPLICATION: Karnak #229 AR-Elastomeric trowel grade may be applied to either vertical or horizontal surfaces using a smooth edge trowel. Coverage amount will vary depending on desired thickness. To achieve a 1/16" thickness apply at the rate of 4 gallons per 100 sq. ft.; 1/8" apply at the rate of 8 gallons per 100 sq. ft.; 1/4" thickness apply at the rate of 15 gallons per 100 sq. ft.
CARE OF TOOLS
Tools and other equipment should be thoroughly cleaned with mineral spirits, taking necessary precautions when handling combustible materials.
- Hardness, Shore A: 55 ASTM D-2240
- Elongation - Brush: 700% ASTM D-412
- Elongation - Trowel: 500% ASTM D-412
- Tensile Strength, PSI: 400 ASTM D-412
- Color: Black
- Water Vapor Permeance: 0.017 perm ASTM E-96
- Air Permeability (Leakage): 1.000 L/(s.m2) @ pressure difference of 75 PA ASTM E-283
- Water Absorption: 0.07
- Weight per Gallon: 8.60 lbs.
- Solids:Trowel 65%
- Solids:Brush 60%
- Solids:Spray 55%
Do not use near open flame. Avoid breathing solvent fumes and prolonged contact with skin. Do not take internally. If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. Call a physician immediately. Keep out of reach of children. Keep container covered when not in use. Do not thin. Dispose of in an environmentally safe manner. Cover air intakes during application and while drying.
COLD-PROCESS SYSTEMS AND COATINGS, EITHER EMULSION OR SOLVENT BASED, SHOULD ONLY BE INSTALLED ON DECKS WITH POSITIVE DRAINAGE.
PER NRCA, (NATIONAL ROOFING CONTRACTORS ASSOCIATION) "THE CRITERIA FOR JUDGING PROPER SLOPE FOR DRAINAGE IS THAT THERE BE NO EVIDENCE OF STANDING WATER ON THE DECK 48 HOURS AFTER IS STOPS RAINING."
Available in 1 gallon cans, 3 gallon buckets, 5 gallon pails and 55 gallon drums.