505 Elasto-Brite M Metal Roofing System
PREPARATION AND GUIDELINES
1. All fasteners should be re-tightened or replaced as necessary. Stripped fasteners must be replaced with larger fasteners. All fasteners must include a neoprene washer.
2. The roof should be power washed maintaining a minimum of 3000 psi of working pressure. This should remove dirt, dust and waste products, i.e. grease, animal fats, solvents, loose roofing products and any air borne pollutants.
3. Rusted through panels or sections must be replaced.
4. Heavily rusted areas must be wired brushed down to clean, stable metal.
5. The entire roof surface must receive a coat of Karnak 505P Primer at the rate of .5 to .75 gallon per 100 square feet. Allow Karnak 505P Primer to dry thoroughly (approx. 2 to 4 hours) prior to continuing with the application of Metal Seam Sealing Tape and 505 Seam Sealer.
6. All horizontal seams must be treated in the following manner:
A.) Peel back the release sheet and apply Karnak Metal Seam Sealing Tape exactly to the horizontal seam. Try not to remove as this may damage the Metal Seam Sealing Tape. Do not stretch tape.
B.) Press down firmly starting at the center and working towards the outside edge, removing bubbles. Slight wrinkling should not affect the performance fo the seal. Edges must be free of fish mouths, uplifts and tunnels.
C.) Press firmly where Metal Seam Sealing Tape goes over any fasteners.
D.) Finish seam by applying 505 Seam Sealer over the taped seam. Apply 505 Seam Sealer with a 3" brush. Apply at an average thickness of 1/16" to completely cover the polyester face of the Metal Seam Sealing Tape and feather out. Coverage of 505 Seam Sealer is approximately 50 lineal feet per gallon.
7. All vertical seams if tight, should only receive a 2" wide application of Karnak 505 Seam Sealer. If seams are open, follow treatment for horizontal seams as described above.
8. Any fasteners in the field of the roof not already protected as part of a seam detail must receive a dollop (swirl coat) of 505 Seam Sealer to completely enclose the fastener. Coverage of 505 Seam Sealer is approximately 250 fasteners per gallon.
9. All protrusions and curbs should be flashed with Metal Seam Sealing Tape and 505 Seam Sealer, following good roofing practices and roofing industry standards. The Metal Seam Sealing Tape and 505 Seam Sealer may be overlapped by 1" for addressing wider repairs.
10. Allow all repairs and seam details with Metal Seam Sealing Tape and 505 Seam Sealer to cure for 24-48 hours before continuing with the coating application.
11. Apply Karnak 505 Elasto-Brite M Base Coat at a rate of 1.5 gallons per 100 sq.ft. Allow the Base Coat to dry a minimum of 24 hours before applying the finish coating.
12. Finally, apply Karnak 505 Elasto-Brite M Finish Coat at a rate of 1.5 gallons per 100 sq.ft. and allow to dry.
Note: Field measurements are essential because actual square footage of corrugated metal roofs are more than conventional flat roofs. There could be as much as a 15% - 20% difference in the total square footage. Do not apply over asphaltic or aluminum coated surfaces.