KARNAK ALUM-ELASTIC SYSTEM (229/298 Reinforced) is composed of Karnak 229 AR-Elastomeric rubberized asphalt reinforced with Karnak 3036 Poly-Mat polyester membrane and protected with Karnak 298 Alumin-R rubberized aluminum coating. 298 Alumin-R is highly reflective and is Energy StarÂ® listed by the US EPA. The finished system will add years to granular cap sheet roofing systems.
- Energy StarÂ® listed reflective coating reduces energy consumption by lowering air conditioning requirements.
- Can provide an energy savings â€œpaybackâ€ based on building design, energy consumption needs and insulation levels.
- Tough, flexible, 64 mil waterproof rubber membrane.
- Polyester reinforced membrane is lightweight and exhibits outstanding resistance to splitting and cracking.
- Application causes no disruption of activities inside building.
- Avoids roof replacement and adds life to the existing roof system.
- Reflective coating prevents harmful UV rays from prematurely cracking or drying out the roofing system.
All roof surfaces to be coated should be clean, dry and free of dirt, grease, oil, dust or loose particles. All wet insulation should be removed and replaced. Patch and repair all cracks, holes and blisters with 229 AR-Elastomeric Trowel Grade and Poly-Mat membrane. Allow all repairs to cure until skinned over before application of coating system.
Apply 229 AR-Elatomeric Brush Grade at the rate of 2 Â½ gallons per 100 sq.ft. and immediately unroll and embed one ply of Karnak Poly-Mat into the wet coating. Allow a 2â€ overlap where one strip adjoins another and 6â€ at the end lap. Strips should be cut at lengths of 25-30 feet to allow for movement and to avoid fishmouthing. Gently broom each strip in place allowing the 229 AR-Elastomeric to bleed through the fabric. Extend Poly-Mat 8â€ up parapet walls and feather edge with 229 AR-Elastomeric Brush or Trowel Grade.
Apply a second coat of 229 AR-Elastomeric Brush Grade to the surface of the embedded Poly-Mat at the rate of 1 Â½ gallons per 100 sq.ft. and allow to cure a minimum of 4 to 6 days before applying the 298 Alumin-R. If weather is cool, some extra time may be necessary.
Continue coating system with the application of Karnak 298 Alumin-R at the rate of 1 Â½ to 2 gallons per 100 sq.ft. Allow 24 hours to cure. 298 Alumin-R provides the roof membrane system with excellent weathering characteristics, elongation properties and reduces surface temperatures.
The above specification is offered as a service to the specifier. Karnak Corporation does not practice architecture nor engineering and recommends that you consult a registered architect, engineer and/or roofing consultant.